Thursday, July 30, 2009

Olympus E-P1 lens cases

The Olympus E-P1 is the most compact interchangeable lens digital camera currently on the market. See my earlier entries: Consequently, I've been looking for a secure yet highly configurable solution for carrying a few lenses with the camera.

I decided to search secondhand camera shops to find small lens cases for my Voigtlander Nokton 35mm f1.4 classic portrait lens and the M.Zuiko 14-42mm collapsible kit zoom.

My sincere thanks to Ivy Hou, photographer and camera otaku, for taking me on the equivalent of a "pub crawl" through selected used camera shops in Tokyo despite the summer heat.

The mission was successful. As you can see below, the Takumar f1.8/55 lens case from Pentax is exactly the right size to hold the kit zoom: it fits so snugly it seems amost purpose-made for the job.

The Nokton has a protruding focus tab so the same degree of fit is not possible, But the slightly slimmer and taller Pentax Takumar f3.5/28 lens case seems to work reasonably well.

Currently, the E-P1 body goes in the Kata DF-408 case shown above in the middle.

I plan to put the body attached to a pancake lens, possibily the pre-advertised Panasonic when it becomes available, in that or a similar rectangular soft case unless something special in a secondhand camera shop turns up.

The idea is to be able to string required lenses and plus other accessories and take only what I need.

My lightweight carbon-fiber/magnesium Gitzo Traveler can also go on the belt comme ça.

No comments:

Post a Comment